It's Bike to Work Day, at the end of Bike to Work Week, in the midst of Bike to Work Month!
Now, I bike to work pretty much every day unless it's raining*, so this day/week/month isn't particularly different for me, except! Today is free food for bikers day! A bunch of Austin restaurants (including Whole Foods, which started right here in the heart of Texas) offered free breakfast this morning for all those who were biking to work. I hit up Bouldin Creek Cafe for some hippie-made, organic, vegetarian fare and enjoyed the smooth tones of a live banjo with my spinach omelette. (Live music is hard to avoid in Austin, even at 7:45am.)
But wait, that's not all! Our local Chipotle restaurant offered free lunch today for bicyclists. Here is their super cute flyer:Some of my buddies at work have organized weekly bike-to-lunch rides during Bike Month, and that has been SO fun. It feels like we're our own little biker gang riding around downtown Austin -- albeit a really non-intimidating, slightly sweaty biker gang with one particularly slow-moving cyclist on a cotton candy pink cruiser (hi!).
Anyway, I don't know of any bad-ass biker gang that would say "no" to free burritos, so of course we had to go.
You give me free food & I'll give you The Crazy Eye.
Free burritos = bike orgy.
Rarrr, biker gang of deeeeeath!
*I feel like this makes me sound high-and-mighty, so let me offer some qualifications:
- I am too lazy to fix the two (2!) broken cars languishing in front of our house.
- I live .9 miles from work and it's completely downhill the entire way in. I only have to pedal, like, 7 times.
- I get paid an extra $100 a month for not taking up a parking spot in our tiny office parking lot.
- I never have to drive anyone to any off-site meetings.
- Why yes I will have another happy hour margarita, thank you!